Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sourdough failure

Yesterday, for the first time, I had a sourdough failure. I brought the yeast out of its refrigerated hibernation, fed it, and left it out for a couple hours to wake up. I saw some bubbles and thought all was well, so I put it in the dough maker:


2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup gram flour (besan)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 bulb garlic
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (meant to use olive oil but 'missed')
1 teaspoon sugar
pinch salt
water until dough was no longer too dry

I formed it into demi-loaves and left it overnight to rise, covered by a damp towel, but alas! In the morning it had not risen one millimeter.

Either my culture's secretly dead or it didn't like something I gave it (the besan? the garlic?) I'm inclined to think it didn't like the garlic, since garlic is supposed to be an antimicrobial. A voice in my head said "try various things to get it to rise !" because it smelled very nice, but I threw it away in case something else that didn't mind garlic had taken over.

No comments: